A senior member of the firm’s Real Estate team, Steve Schulz represents municipalities, condominium associations and other private entities in the planning, development, and management of real property and communities, as well as protecting their interests in a variety of ownership and business disputes.
Steve’s practice is primarily focused on municipal, real estate development and community association law, with extensive experience on behalf of a diverse client base. He has participated in all aspects of the development approval process for many major subdivisions and master-planned communities located on Galveston Island, including Beachtown Galveston, Beachside Village, Campeche Shores, Premier Tiki Island Marina, and the Preserve at West Beach, a 1,000 plus acre master-planned community. In addition, he has significant experience arguing before state courts to protect the ownership and development rights of his clients.
Currently City Attorney for the City of Jamaica Beach, Texas, Steve has also served as special counsel to the City of Galveston on select matters, providing representation on major land use matters and representation of City Council and City Committee members with Ethics Ordinance violations. He regularly represents large and small subdivision and condominium homeowner associations and is the long-time president and board member of his own subdivision homeowner association.
- The University of Texas School of Law – J.D., 1976
- Rice University – B.A., magna cum laude, 1973
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Professional Activities and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Galveston County Bar Association
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel, charter member
- City Attorney for Jamaica Beach, Texas
- Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone 12, City of Galveston, Chairman (2001 to present)
- Galveston Economic Development Partnership Housing and Real Estate Task Force, Chairman
- Comprehensive Plan Update Committee, City of Galveston, Member
- Airport Master Plan Committee, City of Galveston, Member
- West End Land Use Policy Committee, City of Galveston, Member
- Boy Scouts of America, Member of the Executive Board of Bay Area Council
Recognition and/or Publications
- Martindale Hubbell – Rated AV Preeminent
- Listed American Registry – America’s Most Honored Lawyers – Top Rated Lawyer 2020
- Participated in preparation and argument of a Texas Supreme Court case which confirmed private beachfront property ownership rights announced in Severance v. Patterson. (Porretto v. Texas General Land Office and Jerry Patterson – 448 S.W.3rd 57)
- Participated in preparation and argument of Court of Appeals case vindicating a client’s right to plat approval when a municipality has not properly adopted a Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinances. (Premier Tierra Holdings, LLC v. The Village of Tiki Island, Texas 555 S.W.3rd 738)
- Handled the purchase of and development permitting for the 1895 Falstaff Brewery complex recently awarded for adaptive reuse by the Galveston Planning Commission.