Meredith Bates represents a diverse base of lenders, developers and other business clients in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, acquisitions, and sales.
A senior member of the firm’s Real Estate team, Meredith’s practice expertise includes the negotiation and execution of commercial leases (retail, office, industrial, warehouse, and ground leases), purchase and sale agreements, development agreements, construction contracts, management agreements, and related due diligence matters. She recently represented a developer client throughout an entire retail shopping center project from acquisition of the property, construction, launch and, ultimately, to its sale.
Meredith also represents borrowers and lenders in (i) interim, permanent, and construction financings secured by real estate, (ii) mezzanine loans and related forms of financing, and (iii) debt restructuring, workouts, and problem loans.
Meredith’s representations have also included large commercial banks, as well as insurance companies and other financial institutions. She advised one bank client in its role as administrative agent in a syndicated real estate construction loan facility, as well as various other commercial banks and life insurance companies in interim, permanent and construction financing, and a life company in the acquisition and sale of real estate improved with retail centers, industrial parks and office buildings.
A leader in guiding her financial institution clients through complex transactions, Meredith has been recognized by Thomson Reuters for inclusion in its exclusive lists of Texas Rising Stars® (Real Estate) and Texas Super Lawyers (Real Estate), as well as by The Best Lawyers in America (Banking and Finance Law).
- Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- South Texas College of Law – J.D., summa cum laude, 2002
- Editor-in-Chief, South Texas Law Review, 2002
- University of Arkansas – B.S., magna cum laude, 1997
Professional Activities and Memberships
- CREW Houston
- Texas Rising Stars® by Thomson Reuters (Real Estate) from 2008-2016
- Texas Super Lawyers (Real Estate) from 2018-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America (Banking and Finance Law) 2016-2019
- Crossroads United Methodist Church, Worship Pastor
- PugHearts of Houston – Pug Rescue, Foster
- Represented commercial bank’s interests as administrative agent and a lender in $100 million syndicated real estate construction loan facility
- Represented real estate developer in $30 million acquisition, construction, lease-up and sale of a retail shopping center.
- Represented insurance company in permanent real estate loan secured by 11 properties in 9 states.
- Represented insurance company in deed-in-lieu-of-foreclosure and subsequent sale of a $70 million residential condominium.
- Represented closely held family LLC in the acquisition and CMBS financing of a $5,000,000 self-storage facility for investment purposes.
- Represented commercial tenants in leases of office and retail space ranging from 1,500 square feet to 10,000 square feet.
- Represented commercial landlords in leases of office and retail space ranging from 500 square feet to 100,000 square feet.